Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cat In The Brain

Director: Lucio Fulci

Starring: Lucio Fulci & David L. Thompson

Photobucket

In 1999, Grindhouse Releasing released "Cat in the Brain" on Laser Disc and the years that followed showed that region 5 DVDs of "Cat in the Brain," or any other region that wasn't 1, could reach up to $200 dollars on ebay and amazon.com.

Needless to say back in January of this year when Grindhouse Releasing announced they were going to release "Cat in the Brain" on DVD with a ton of bonus features on March 31st of this year, I was way, way excited and even more when I received my pre-ordered copy on April Fools Day.

In "Cat in the Brain," Lucio Fulci plays himself, and for those who do not know, Lucio Fulci is known by some as the "godfather of gore." So in "Cat," Fulci has to start seeing a psychiatrist because he is starting to have trouble distinguishing reality because he has directed so many gory horror films. In addition, bodies starting piling up and Fulci doesn't know if it is he that is committing the murders.

In one scene, a man is grinding up the body of a woman he recently murdered. During the film's lunch break, Fulci can't eat because he keeps imagining the scene were the man is grinding up the woman's body.

In another scene, Fulci arrives on set late and the producers have already started filming because he is so predictable and they know what his fans want. I felt with this scene, and a couple others in "Cat," that Fulci was poking fun at himself, making that one of the film's stronger attributes.

And of course we can't forget that "Cat in the Brain" is a exploitation film and a Fulci one at that. So that means there is going to be a ton of gore and nudity that doesn't make any sense. In fact, there is a Nazi orgy sex scene and you know what? That is only something that Mr. Fulci can make happen and you accept it.

"Cat in the Brain" actually recycles scores from previous Fulci films by having them in "Cat" and recycles clips from previous Fulci films by having them in "Cat" as well. When I read that, before I watched "Cat," I thought that was a bummer. But after watching "Cat," I feel as if that actually worked for the movie.

I also feel that "Cat in the Brain" makes a great party movie. Throw it on when friends are over and laugh at all of the plot holes that are covered up with gore. In closing, I am a strong Fulci fan, so I am going to give it a higher rating than what "Cat in the Brain" is actually worth.

For Fans of Fulci, Gore, and Italian Exploitation Films
7 out of 10.

Trailer for "Cat in the Brain:"

1 comment:

  1. My first comment, well-researched and tightly- written was lost when I clicked "preview." Does "preview mean delete in a foreign language?

    Why don't you ever mention Al Gore when discussing gorey movies?

    I wonder how much a director like Fulci makes? Now that I am retired, I wouldn't mind getting a part-time job as a gore movie apprentice helper/gofer or something.

    Did you know that gore spelled backwards is erog who was a caveman even before the Flintstones.

    For real gore I am good for about 1/4 oz. For reel gore I can last longer.

    I like that Fulci pokes fun at himself. More people need to, including me.

    Keep up the good job!

    ReplyDelete