Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"Dagon"

Director: Stuart Gordon

Starring: Ezra Godden & Francisco Rabal

Photobucket

I remember seeing the cover of "Dagon" awhile ago and thinking that it looked dumb due to the creature on the cover and the title "Dagon."

So just the other day I was on wikipedia.com and I searched for Lucio Fulci and I came across a page called "Splatter Film." On that page it gave a definition for "Splatter Film" and a list of "Splatter film" directors and some of their more notable films.

On the list was Stuart Gordon, director of "Re-Animator" and "From Beyond" (two personal favorites of mine). Attached to his name was "Dagon" and I thought "He directed that?" So because Gordon's name was attached to "Dagon," I decided to pick it up.

"Dagon" is about two couples whose sailboat crashes into some coral, trapping one of the two couples, due to an ugly storm. The nearest island is Imboca, so the character Paul drifts ashore on a raft looking for help. When Paul returns to the sailboat, the couple is gone and when he returns to Imboca, he discovers his girlfriend is gone.

Paul is told his girlfriend is waiting for him at a hotel and when he arrives, Paul has his first encounter with the uh...uh...fish...zombies, that skin people alive.

Pretty weird, right? And Paul has yet to learn the secret of Imboca or see the bigger, badder monster, fish creatures.

I would consider "Dagon" to be a creature film and one thing I enjoyed about "Dagon" was that it played out like an old 50s type creature film. You don't get to see the big, main creature until the end, while the rest of the film is littered with just really quick glimpses of it.

As one may assume, "Dagon" does have some flaws. My biggest complaint was the CGI. Some of the scenes with CGI were almost cringeful. But one thing that made up for the CGI were a couple of goreshots that were CGI free. In addition to the CGI, the storyline was more than a little confusing. However, I actually enjoyed explaining my interpretation of what I thought was going on to my girlfriend.

I am afraid I can only recommend this to people who are into the horror scene and like Stuart Gordon.

Watchable
For Fans of Creature Films
6 out of 10

2 comments:

  1. I once knew a man that I worked with many
    years ago who was an H.P. Lovecraft freak (er..fan).

    I know that Lovecraft was a highly regarded "horror" author. I never did get around to reading anything of his.

    Just in the trailer appear to be several cardiac arrest-causing potentil scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the above comment, "potentil" should be "potential." That's what I get for not looking at the screen while I type, no?

    ReplyDelete